Security experts at Kaspersky Lab stated they have discovered a malware application that targets the Google Android mobile operating system in Russia. The malware named “Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a” is the first of its kind specifically implement to target the Android mobile OS according to the researchers at Kaspersky Lab.
Even though initial cases are in Russia, Android-based users all over should be aware of the matter and be vigilant when downloading applications to their mobile device.
SecurityOrb.com has five key recommendations for Android-based cell-phone users:
- Pay close attention to the services that an application requests access to when it is being installed.
- Check the permissions of your apps and revoke unnecessary access to remote locations and SMS request.
- Install apps from trusted companies and sources ONLY.
- Set Android-based device to only download applications that are in the Android Market
- Research, read and/or review before installing apps