Any good hacker will take a few common steps to attack a site these can generally be ordered from 1-4.
- Research Vulnerabilities
- Performing the attack
Often you are going to be attacked by “script-kiddies” the easiest way to protect against them is simply make their job hard and they’ll move on somewhere else.
- Make sure OS and Apps are up to date with patches
- Turn off and remove un-necessary services and software
- Run a host-based firewall
- Don’t display information in service banners
- Don’t provide any information about your network/systems publicly