Microsoft has released security bulletin MS10-038. This security bulletin contains all the relevant information about the security updates for Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac OS X. To view the complete security bulletin, visit the following Microsoft website:
This update improves security. It includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer’s memory with malicious code. Additionally, this update contains improvements that enhance the stability and performance of Office 2008 for Mac applications.
Improvements that are included in the update
The Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.5 Update includes the following improvements. Improvements for all Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac applications.
- Helps improve security
This update fixes vulnerabilities in Office 2008 that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer’s memory with malicious code. For more information, see the security bulletin that is listed earlier in this document.
- Custom dictionary is improved
This update fixes issues that prevent the custom dictionary from including words from different languages.
Before you install the Office 2008 12.2.5 Update, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.
To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click About This Mac on the Apple menu.
Additionally, you must install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update before you install the Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.5 Update.
To verify the update that is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- On the Go menu, click Applications.
- Open the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, and then open any Office application (for example, open Word).
- On the Word menu, click About Word.
- In the About Word dialog box, compare the version number next to Latest Installed Update.
The Office 2008 12.2.5 Update is also available from Microsoft AutoUpdate. AutoUpdate is a program that automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date.
To use AutoUpdate, start a Microsoft Office program. Then, on the Help menu, click Check for Updates.
THIS DOCUMENT APPLIES TO:
- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition
- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition
- Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac
- Microsoft Excel 2008 for Mac
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2008 for Mac
- Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac